Wednesday, April 19, 2006

CMB Muse Festival

1st Singapore Muse Festival

16th April was the final day of the Muse Festival. Although till now, I've yet to know the details of the festival (like who sponsors, festival missions...etc), I went with Da as audience for the last day.

It was held at one of the ballrooms at Orchard Hotel. We were lost trying to get there so we were late and ended up catching Chung Cheng Main Band in the middle of their first piece. However, as we're wandering, we found the perfect place to celebrate Da's 21st Birthday....!!!

I shan't comment on any bands as it is sensitive topic and will leave it to private conversations.

Firstly, I'm VERY proud of CMB. To have progressed so far under Mr Brando Tan to reach this level of musicality that previous batches are unable to reach as a batch or as a band. Honestly, I haven't heard CMB played before in a competition...with me as an audience. Either I'm participating as a player, or I'm not around. So, it was an interesting experience to observe the band from a 3rd perspective!

Something catches my eye most immediately when CMB walks in, the gait of the band. Looks professional, although there were some slouchers here and there. However, it is the confidence and poise of the conductor that striked me. I've never seen Mr. Tan so confident before and I realized then how much he has grown as an instructor and conductor, over the ages when he first step in when I was Sec1.

He can carry himself very well in front of the judges and the audience. I think he impressed the crowd with his pre-performance introduction. Professional yet not long-winded.

However...when I went to him after the performance, he sounded very much like the same Mr. Tan of 5 years ago....haha!

Anyway, for the outgoing Sec4s, if any of you are reading my blog, please go and study and leave the band in the hands of the new leaders. Please do come seldom to correct them...but not often. Learning to trust new leadership is the hardest thing for Sec4s to do...I know it too well. By giving in your trust more towards your juniors, you can let the band go slowly as well, so that you can concentrate your studies. Then you will get good grades and join the alumni band....(propaganda...).

For the rest, please keep up the good work!

Here below is the ending of the set piece....blame my lousy batteries and low memory space...

No comments: