Sunday, January 15, 2006

Pacific Basin Music Festival


I was only Sec3 then...around April when I went to Hawaii to take part in the PBMF. Ah...Singapore Festival Winds, sounded so pro then. I'm VERY lucky to be able to go overseas 4 times in my band life, 2 for band trip and 2 for competition. PBMF was the first overseas band competition that I went to and we got gold for our effort!

Actually, Singapore Festival Winds (SFW) consists of 4 bands, namely SAJC, St Pats, St Andrews and of course my sch Commonwealth Sec. The best players (and most willing) are put together to form this band. The main purpose being to send this team of players to learn overseas and to spread their seeds of wisdom to the juniors, and also to bring all of Mr.Glosz's bands together. I'm very proud of my section...had very great time together practicing and 'suffering'!!! There were Man Hon, Sebastian, Fitri, Me, Arthur and Kenny. Interestingly, Man Hon was my SL in sajc when I was in JC1 and also one of the gunners in Charlie Battery where I'm posted to in army!!!

We held Sunday practices at St. Andrews bandroom, rain or shine, exam or not. After sight reading many pieces, we settled down with Rhapsody for Hanukkah, Wizard of Oz, Symphonic Paraphrase and Ross Roy, each pieces conducted by the various student of Mr.Glosz (whom all are taking bands too)

Over there, other than the fact that I was sick for 3 whole days and was almost sent back to Singapore by my band teacher ic, everyday was great. Masterclasses, exchange with Inagakuen High Sch Band, the comp itself...tour...everything was wonderful. We even went to the Pearl Harbour War Memorial.

The bonds we made with each other (as commonwealthians) and with the other bands serve me well till now. I made band friends which I'm still currently playing with and PBMF was the kickstart of my improvement in my individual playing, to see the world and learn new stuff about music and my playing. On top of that, so much memories were etched in me that I will carry to my grave.

I would like to dedicate this entry to Mr.Glosz and to all members of the (original) Singapore Festival Winds. Cheers to SFW!!!

No comments: